Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Gooey Stuff: aka The Good Stuff

The Gooey Stuff is what  holds all the pieces, big and small, of the broken heart together. It's the small dots, and big clumps of Gooey Goodness that allow me to connect the brokenness of the ugly shards and splinters.

Some days I really have to hunt for the Gooey Good stuff. Some days the good stuff is so all over that I can't avoid it. This is my current list of Gooey Goodness

An unfinished creation by Daniel out by the garden.
  • The baby birds in the tree in front of my house. How amazingly awesome that Momma bird felt my tree was safe enough to raise her babies in! I love to hear them chirp when she is out there feeding them. Yesterday I took Sam out to see the babies. His eyes go so big and he instinctively got quiet watching them. What a simple joy and how lucky that I have that in my front yard. Teeney Tiny Gooey Goo, but it thrills me and puts a piece of my heart back together. 
  • My son Daniel - of course he has been HUGE GOO from day one for me. Daniel and I are closer than we've ever been. Not a day goes by that we don't connect. In addition to being an amazing athlete, Daniel is an artist... a graffiti artist. Artists are such passionate perfectionists! The Gooey Goo this week was Daniel asking me to help with the color palette of his current creation. Do you know how special I felt that my 19 year old son was involving me in his passion?! Goo to the highest power!
  • Running & Biking - I have tried really hard the last few weeks to be more consistent.  I continue to struggle to do this for myself. Now, I must be transparent and share that I visited my therapist a couple weeks ago.  She gently threatened that if  I wouldn't use exercise to help alleviate the stress and anxiety that I should consider a prescription. My good friends Pride and Stubbornness got all wound up and knocked me off my pity pot. Then my friends Grief  & Lazy tried to step in, but Pride and Stubbornness are bad ass girls and won the fight. Grief started to cry and Lazy wouldn't get up off the couch long enough to argue so it wasn't even a fair fight. Yes, shocking but true, every time I go run or bike I feel 100% better! Admittedly I live where my exercise excursions are on single track trails or in the mountains where peace and tranquility embed themselves into every pore without any effort on my part. When I'm done the kinetic energy of movement has put gobs of Gooey Goo into one or two more spots and is now holding another piece of broken heart together.
  • Fresh Basil from my garden - I love to cook, but my life is to busy to cook in a way that fulfills this passion. Last weekend however, I made fresh Feta Basil Pesto..... A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! What a simple luxiously pleasure. The kind of Gooey Goo that is slow to seep into little cracks and crevasses of my inner foodie and roll around all warm and soft. Spread on crackers, used as sauce of a pizza, tossed in with pasta and roasted chicken. It was a gift that gave pleasure for a week. Brandon was a foodie too. He would have loved all of it! Let me know if you want the recipe, happy to share the Goo! 
  • Right now writing and sitting on my back patio as the sun comes up and warms all the Gooey Goo - Knowing that through this blog I am getting to connect with so much love. Friends new and old, fellow Moms, family and broken or not we can all build bigger hearts. Buckets of Gooey Gooing Good Stuff!
What is your Gooey Goo Good Stuff this week?  Expand yourself - find the Goo! 

1 comment:

  1. Paula - Thanks for the reminder to all of us to find the "goo" we need to mend ourselves. I sometimes forget to be grateful for the small joys. Ioften overlook those small things and get wrapped up in the little annoying stuff that doesn't really matter. I took a walk with Drake and one of the dogs to Starbucks this morning and your reminder made me appreciate that small amount of time alone with my son. Great "GOO"!! Love, Amy N.

    ReplyDelete